The Big Weekend Part 1: Los Angeles
I cannot express how crazy, hectic, and exciting this weekend has been so far. Here are some of the highlights:
- After a week of intense editing of my winter film, I had a good in-class critique, then rushed to the airport and barely caught my flight to LA
- My mom drove up from San Diego to come to the Emerson LA Film Showcase
- We saw Gwen Stafani when we were eating dinner in a restaurant in Beverly Hills
- I got to catch up with many old friends, classmates, and teachers, as well as do some networking with alums
- We got to share 10,000 Trees with a wonderful audience at the Writer’s Guild Theater
- Last, but certainly not least, Sarah Ginsburg and I won the “Take Action Hollywood” award for social action filmmaking, and we got to take home a giant-sized check for $5,000!!!
It was an amazing experience to be part of, and I felt so honored that we won the award. I can’t believe that almost exactly a year ago, Sarah G. and I were running a Kickstarter campaign and flying to Portland to shoot our film. I feel like so much has happened in this past year, and I’m incredibly grateful for all the opportunities I have been given and the people who have supported me.
Now Sarah G. and I are off to Portland, to screen 10,000 Trees at the Portland Oregon Women’s Film Festival! It will be the first time that it’s screened in a theater with my entire family present. I’m just as excited to participate in the festival as I am to see my grandparents and celebrate the occasion. I can’t wait!